What is dry eye?
Dry eye is caused when the glands cannot create enough tears to keep your eye moist. This can cause discomfort, redness and burning if it becomes severe. This is just one of the many reasons that you may have dry eye syndrome. At Ultralase, we offer advanced treatments such as MiBo Thermoflo™ to relieve you of severe discomfort - learn more about this below.
What causes dry eye?
- Hormonal change - taking the Pill, pregnancy or menopause
- Pre-existing conditions like blepharitis (inflammation of the eyelids), contact dermatitis, allergic conjunctivitis, previous eye trauma.
- Excessive contact lens use
- Side effects from certain medications like antihistamines, or beta-blockers.
- Excessive exposure to extreme climates such as air conditioning, dry weather, smoke, or wind.
Dry Eye Symptoms
- Blurred vision
- Dryness and grittiness
- Sensitivity to light
Dry eye can affect people of all ages. Research has shown that up to a third of people ages 65 and above suffer with dry eye syndrome, and unfortunately the condition is a lot more common with women.
What dry eye treatments do Ultralase offer?
Depending on how severe your dry eye is, the optometrist will recommend treatments depending on this. They may even suggest several treatments that would bring on results.
Initially the optometrist may suggest a change in lifestyle, alongside lid therapy and artificial tear gel.
Depending on whether this is succesful, he/she may suggest:
- Anti-inflammatory medication
- Punctum plugs (there is the choice of semi-permanent or permanent)
- MiBo Thermoflo™
What is MiBo Thermoflo™ and how does it work?
MiBo Thermoflo is a non-invasive solution that can relieve dry eye syndrome. This is a painless and comfortable procedure, that will provide you with immediate relief. It is also affordable, meaning you won't be out of pocket for a procedure that could change your quality of life.
The specialist will apply ultrasound gel to your eye, and your upper and lower lids are then gently massaged using a MiBo eye pad.
This eye pad is heated to a comfortable temperature, and we always ensure that this is a comfortable and relaxing experience.
The heated pad will encourage the glands around your eyes to produce more oil, almost always immediately and with no side effects.
Note: if you wear contact lenses, you will be able to wear these straight after treatment.
The procedure only lasts around 12 minutes per eye, with the specialist recommending the set amount of treatments you will need.
What are the benefits of MiBo Thermoflo™?
As well as relief from severe dry eyes, you will also benefit from the following:
- Immediate results
- Cost effective
- There are no side effects and it is painless
- You only require around three to four treatments
How much does MiBo Thermoflo™ cost?
Where can I have MiBo Thermoflo treatment?
Call 0800 9888 237 to speak to our Dry Eye Clinics about your options.