What is dry eye?
Dry eye is caused when the glands cannot create enough tears to keep your eye moist. This can cause discomfort, redness and burning if it becomes severe. This is just one of the many reasons that you may have dry eye syndrome.
What causes dry eye?
- Hormonal change - taking the Pill, pregnancy or menopause
- Pre-existing conditions like blepharitis (inflammation of the eyelids), contact dermatitis, allergic conjunctivitis, previous eye trauma.
- Excessive contact lens use
- Side effects from certain medications like antihistamines, or beta-blockers.
- Excessive exposure to extreme climates such as air conditioning, dry weather, smoke, or wind.
Dry Eye Symptoms
- Blurred vision
- Dryness and grittiness
- Sensitivity to light
Dry eye can affect people of all ages. Research has shown that up to a third of people ages 65 and above suffer with dry eye syndrome, and unfortunately the condition is a lot more common with women.
What dry eye treatments do Ultralase offer?
Depending on how severe your dry eye is, the optometrist will recommend treatments depending on this. They may even suggest several treatments that would bring on results.
Initially the optometrist may suggest a change in lifestyle, alongside lid therapy and artificial tear gel.
Depending on whether this is succesful, he/she may suggest:
- Anti-inflammatory medication
- Punctum plugs (there is the choice of semi-permanent or permanent)